Late last year biomechanical conditioning and physio clinic bioSPORT was thrilled to pick up the organisation of the Thursday night cycling Criterium Series at Auckland Viaduct Harbour (Tank Farm).
Spectators and competitors will be treated to hard, fast and furious inner city racing. This year has all the makings of an excellent event for competitors and spectators alike with some great riders including Alex Ray who recently won the Christchurch Festival of Cycling Criterium, and his Bici Vida team mates hot contenders against Kiwi Velo and Subway in the A grade. There have also been rumours of new NZ citizen Linda Villumsen competing in the Womens Elite in B grade.
An addition to the race format is a C grade for those new to Crit racing - or don't quite have the legs for B grade. Some special info below for those who are considering having a go.
All entrants go in to win excellent prizes. Special thanks to prize sponsors Air New Zealand, Cibo Restaurant, Allpress Coffee, Grace Lang Optometry, Sanctuary Developments, Hammer Nutrition and cyclingnzshop.com. Also huge thanks to all the many helpers and marshals, especially Auckland Grammar Cycling, Pete Bruggeman and the Six:30 bunch. Without their support this event wouldn't be happening.
Following are a few notes from the Race Director Troy Campbell
- Race Start times: C Grade - 6.15pm, B Grade - 6.40pm, A Grade - 7:15pm
- Start/Finish line: usual place, approx 200m up Hamer Street, from cnr of Jellicoe Street.
- Road closure: The race course will be closed to traffic, marshals will be on all corners.
- Registration: At bioSPORT reception OR at the bioSPORT truck on the Start/Finish line, open from 5:30pm. You will need to fill in a registration form which will cover all 6 races. Please be patient, and come early. As usual, no race number, no race. Max 60 riders in each grade, first in first served, no exceptions.
- Entry Fees: $60 series, or $12.50 per race from bioSPORT reception, or on the line $15. Cash only at the line thanks.
- Warm-ups: There will be no warm-ups on the course. Race briefing will be held within minutes of previous' race last rider. Suggested warm-up area is Westhaven Drive.
- Prizes: Cash and voucher prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each grade. And prime/sprint lap prizes. A point system will determine the Grand Series Winners. See biosport.co.nz for details.
- Photos: Bring out your bling - cycling photographer Pete Bruggeman will be on the course.
- First aid: First aid kit and first aider will be at start line.
- Mechanical: Please bring your own tubes, allen keys, lube, bombs etc. There will be a foot pump at registration.
- Cancellation: In the event of bad weather we will post details on bioSPORT homepage by 5pm. You can also call bioSPORT on 373 3800.
- C Grade is specifically for those who want to try out crit racing - LESS about WINNING, MORE about RIDING!
- Entries will be restricted to those who haven't race crits before or don't have the legs for B grade - no burglers please - neutral lap may be invoked at Race Director's discretion.
- Race time is 15 mins plus 1 lap, plus 1-3 sprint/prime laps.
- Sprint lap will be indicated by a siren as you pass the start-finish line - this indicates that the immediately following lap will be a sprint lap.
For more details, visit www.biosport.co.nz