COLLEGE SPORT ASSCA CYCLING
Waterfront Team Time Trials
Briefing Notes for Schools from the Race Manager
This year we may see record entries in excess of 80 teams. To ensure that we achieve our objectives of a competitive and safe event that is a highlight on the Schools sporting calendar, we must have the full cooperation of competitors, schools and supporters.
The event now requires a minimum of 44 volunteer marshals and 16 race officials. All schools entering teams must contribute to these resources, by providing at least one marshal or official per team for every race. In addition, each team must have a manager in attendance.
We also require at least one volunteer duty doctor or nurse to assist the Race Manager each race day. Primary help for injury accidents is via 111, but on-course assistance is often invaluable and always benefits minor injury.
This year will see a zero tolerance approach to safety and compliance. Recent changes to the road code are aligned with current practice. Notably, a flashing white front light is now acceptable and pedal reflectors are no longer required provided that you wear reflective clothing.
The performance of the mountain bike teams last year was a concern. We welcome their participation but all teams must stay together and be able to demonstrate that they can complete the course in reasonable time.
This year we will have a new trophy; the James Faulding Memorial Trophy for the fastest senior boys time for the series.
Please note the following:
- Riders must comply with the Road Code, Race Rules and Code of Conduct at all times.
- Marshals must attend the pre-race briefing every race day.
- Parents and supporters must know the race rules and restrictions.
2. REGISTRATION: Eastern Bays Rugby Club carpark, Watene/Reihana St, Okahu Bay (registration, and marshals' briefing, plus ample carparking)
3. PARKING: Parnell Baths (off Judges Bay Rd- access the course across the footbridge), Quay St (by MacDonalds), The Landing (Okahu Bay). DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR CAR.
4. NO PARKING: BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER THE RACE
Tamaki Drive from Solent St to Ngapipi Rd on both sides.
Solent St including Ports of Auckland and Marine Rescue Centre carparks.
5. CLOTHING: dress for the day. Thermals are often required through the winter. For safety and health reasons riders need jackets while waiting to start. Team sponsorships must comply with College Sport/ASSCA restrictions. Gloves are highly recommended for safety reasons.
6. START AREA:
a. Know the start procedure and the course.
b. Make sure the whole team is on time for roll-out and your start.
c. Roll out: This is a compliance check, NOT a free mechanical service.
d. Keep left in the start chute. Be ready to race.
e. KEEP THE FOOTPATH CLEAR.
7. TURNING: Turn QUIETLY. No noise in Vale Rd at all times.
8. FINISH & NUMBER RETURN:
- Ride through the finish keeping left and STOP at the crossing.
- Use the crossing.
- Return ALL your team numbers to the officials in the Coastguard carpark. If you forget and take your numbers home, TELL US.
- Team managers MUST report any non-finishers as soon as possible.
- RESULTS are displayed in the Coastguard carpark.
9. AFTER THE RACE:
- Use the footpath bike lane if you are going east. Do not ride on the course until after the Race Manager has left to tail the last team.
- Pick up of riders at the finish area is NOT POSSIBLE.
To all Teachers - in - Charge of Cycling:
Please find attached the entry form for the 2005 Cycling series. This entry form must be completed and signed by the principal for each team.
You do not need to re-enter the team for each race. We will assume from the first entry that you are entering all races in the series. you must notify Lance Bowden at Auckland Grammar by no later than the Tuesday prior to the race, if you are not going to be racing.
If you do not turn up to a race that you are entered for without notification then we will assume that you are no longer entering any further races in the series.
Below is a list of team numbers that each school indicated on their initial registration form. If this number is no longer correct please let Lance Bowden know by 3pm Wednesday 11th May.
Lance Bowden email@example.com
|| NUMBER OF TEAMS|
|ACG Strthallan College
|Auckladn Grammar School
|Auckland Girls Grammar
|Diocesan School for Girls
|Elim Christain College
|Epsom Girls Grammar
|Sacred Heart College
|St Peters College
|St Cuthberts College
|Westlake Girls High
Any questions please contact me.
ASB Bank College Sport
Ph 09 8458496
Fax 09 8458497
Mob 021 484612
PO Box 44 258
Building 47 Gate 3